FC Bayern earned its first competitive trophy of the 2017/18 season after beating Borussia Dortmund on a penalty shootout.
Borussia Dortmund 2-2 (pen. 4-5) FC Bayern München
Fox Sports Asia was kind enough to do a live broadcast the Supercup between Borussia Dortmund and FC Bayern early this morning, August 6, 2017, 2:15 AM. This first competitive match of the season was truly thrilling and entertaining. Note as well that this was the first time that VAR was used.
For the highlights, watch the video (in HD): Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich | 2017 German Super Cup Highlights. Video with complete shootouts: FC Bayern München VS Borussia Dortmund Highlights and Goals.
- BVB: Bürki, Zagadou, Bartra, Dembélé, Sahin, Aubameyang, Dahoud, Pulisic, Sokratis (C), Piszczek, Castro.
- FCB: Ulreich, Hummels, Ribéry, Martinez, Lewandowski, Rafinha, Rudy, Vidal, Tolisso, Muller (C), Kimmich. Subs: Früchtl, Süle, Coman, Tillman, Friedl, Sanches, Pantovic.
12′ Pulisic goal | 1-0
18′ Lewandowski goal, Kimmich assist | 1-1
71′ Aubameyang goal, Dembele assist | 2-1
88′ Piszczek own goal | 2-2
*** Penalty Shootout ***
Lewandowski ✔️ | 0-1
Dembele ✔️ | 1-1
Ribery ✔️ | 1-2
Philipp ✔️ | 2-2
Kimmich ❌ | 2-2
Aubameyang ✔️ | 3-2
Rudy ✔️ | 3-3
Rode ❌ | 3-3
Vidal ✔️ | 3-4
Castro ✔️ | 4-4
Süle ✔️ | 4-5
Bartra ❌ | 4-5
- Robert Lewandowski was ever so reliable. The equalizer was inspiring. That lovely cross from Joshua Kimmich hinted an offside but VAR thought otherwise.
- Sebastian Rudy was so impressive. I think he was fitting right in. Eight minutes into the game, his first touch stopped Ousmane Dembélé. And his penalty kick during shootout was fearless.
- Niklas Süle’s penalty kick was so cool and unstoppable. Roman Bürki barely moved. Since Thomas Muller lost his spell (for now), Süle can definitely be useful for penalties.
- Sven Ulreich did a great job especially during the penalty shootout. He was able to save two shots from Sebastian Rode and Marc Bartra.
- Joshua Kimmich. Where do I start? He played really well. He did a cross to assist Robert Lewandowski’s equalizer. And he took a huge role in the second equalizer. His performance made us forget that he missed his goal on the penalty shootout. Hehe
- Javi Martinez’s mistake led to Christian Pulisic’s goal. This one was hard to watch. Just like last season, avoidable mistakes converted to goals. Huhu
- Arturo Vidal’s ticking bomb moments. After getting a yellow card on the 74th minute, we witnessed Vidal being not too cautious in the next minute. Dude, keep it cool!
- Dear Bayern, why do we always do late comebacks? You made us nervous and ate our hearts out. Why can’t we just exude strong play early on?
- Never lose hope. That 88th minute scrambling moment that led to an own goal by Łukasz Piszczek was mad crazy!
- Dortmund’s defense game was strong. And their quick pace for counterattack was superb!
- Dortmund’s Roman Bürki worked really hard this match. He must be watched out for on the succeeding matches.
- Love that Robert Lewandowski and Mats Hummels still remain respectful to their former club. Lewandowski kept it low in celebrating when he equalizes the first time, and notice that the moment the ball went in for the second equalizer, Hummels just briefly raised his hands and immediately walked away as he clapped his hands. Why do some Dortmund fans hate these guys? They were classy.
Congrats SUPER BAYERN for winning the SUPERCUP 2017! Thanks Borussia Dortmund, as always, a worthy opponent!